Journey Through Step 8 Become Willing to Make Amends
I have separated.
Now I find the courage and strength to live in the world as a complete human being, capable of giving and receiving love, of creating out of a sense of wholeness.
My renewed inner parents reassure me by being consistent and loving parents. I carry these new parents inside me as the former were gently escorted away by my Higher Power.
These new parents remind me I am safe and loved.
I internalize the strength of these new parents. I feel securely held by a sense of parental power which gives logic and structure to my life. With this foundation and strength I am able to build a Self and create loving intimacy through my own sense of power.
The 12 Steps and the Serenity Prayer remind me I can receive real power and apply it in my life to things I am able to change.
My Higher Power is accessible and ready to direct my life in a meaningful, loving way.
I accept and reunite with the vulnerable child I kept hidden inside. By doing this, I begin to heal the broken pieces of my shattered self and become a whole human being capable of interacting in the world with confidence and trust.
ID#122 Title: To Joy! Message:
Even if it seems as if God is not working in our lives, we have two choices: faith or not faith. We can choose, as an act of the will, to follow faith. Choosing faith is like turning your cup right side up and then looking to God to fill it. What is there to lose? Repeat the Serenity Prayer.
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
Let joy be your expectation! Let us claim the abundant life that Christ came to give!
from Healing for Adult Children of Alcoholics by Sara Hines Martin.
ID#152 Title: AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) Promises Message:
1. If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
2. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
3. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
5. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
6. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
7. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
8. Self-seeking will slip away.
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
11. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us – sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them. – the Big Book online, pages 83 and 84, PDF version. Audio version. Free of charge.
AA Promises page updated Tuesday, March 10th, Twenty 20. Keep Coming Back.